Monday, June 9, 2008

Cade's Birth...

On Friday, March 7th, I had a regular OB checkup. Doc decided to do an ultrasound to determine the position of the baby... it was then decided that I’d have to have a c-section. Cade was still breech, his head under my right rib cage and his butt to my cervix. The position and fact that he’d been in that position for practically the entire time (that we know of) led my doc to believe that there would be no turning - even with 4 weeks to go. So he told me to hold on, that his assistant would call the following week to schedule a c-section, and we’d shoot for a week before his due date.

I felt good about everything, even went through pre-admissions that day! Friday and Saturday, I was completely exhausted as usual, but we were snowed in, so I didn’t mind being lazy & doing nothing!

Sunday, I woke up and again, more snow!!! We decided to stay home from church and just relax – not sure we could have made it off the hill without a sled anyway! Later that afternoon, I sent Derek to the grocery store and I just kept feeling like I should be doing SOMETHING! So I finished a quilt that I’d been working on throughout my entire pregnancy and placed it on the diaper bag to eventually take with us to the hospital. I made a liner for my sister-in-law’s basket that contained her baby shower gift. I did about 5 loads of laundry, which usually takes me at least 2 days, if not 3. I made dinner and then I made a “cookie cake”. (my version of cookie bars… oatmeal/chocloate chip spread out in a pan) So much for a lazy Sunday!

When I talked to my mom that night (she’d just made it back to Louisville, for work), I told her all that I’d done and she kept saying, “Christa, you’re going into labor soon!” I kept brushing it off… sure I had stayed busy that day, but isn’t “nesting” all about scrubbing floors & washing windows?

I was worn out from my day of "nesting" so I did end up going to bed a little early that night, about 10:00 p.m., but laid and re-read the end of “Girlfriend’s Guide to Pregnancy”… wanted to have all the details fresh in my head, of the birthing process & c-sections. I turned the light off at 11:00 and slept until Derek came to bed, at around midnight. I kept feeling like I “should” get up, but I didn’t want to. Finally I talked myself into going to the bathroom... which I figured would be my first of MANY trips to the bathroom that night.

On the way to the bathroom, I felt like I was peeing on myself (not out of the relm of possibilities at that point!) And sure enough, my water had broke. At least I thought it had… wasn’t 100 percent certain since it wasn’t a gush, like you read about or see on TV. I called L&D (Labor & Delivery) and they said they’d feel better to check and make sure it wasn’t my water, but it sounded like it was.

So I called mom back, put her on “stand-by”… (which she didn’t stand by at all… she left Louisville immediately and I’m glad she did!) We decided if this was indeed the beginning of labor, we would need to feed the cats, pack a bag for Derek (yes, mine was packed & ready), let the car warm up for a few minutes… oh yeah, and he had to take a shower :) Yeah, we probably should have rushed to the hospital, but I wasn’t feeling any contractions, no pain, so I was in no hurry.

Finally got to the hospital and it took us 20 minutes just to find L&D! We’d never been up to that floor and the hospital is so confusing, especially that late, we were all over the place before someone finally led us to the doors. So I stood there, wet, but feeling just fine, still no contractions, nothing. They weighed me, sent me into a room and had me put on a lovely hospital gown. They did a test to make sure it was my water and sure enough, it was. Since Cade was breech, they needed to get him out asap – I just never imagined he’d be born within 2 hours of me arriving at the hospital!

My doctor came into the room and assured me that everything would be fine, Cade would be fine, and it would all be over soon. The nurses kept telling me not to worry if they had to rush him to NICU, but how could I NOT worry? He was coming 4 weeks early! So many things were going through my mind, all I could do was pray that my little man was developed enough to make a healthy entrance into the world.

Into surgery I go (after being poked & prodded & stuck with needles & IVs)… Derek couldn’t be in the operating room until I was ready for surgery so I had to get the spinal block without him… I was SCARED TO DEATH!!! It was a huge, cold, sterile room, people standing around watching as I crawl over onto the surgical board from my bed (not an easy task when you’re the size of a cow!) and then they did the spinal block. All of the doctors and surgical team were awesome… One of the surgical staff helped hold me down, as they did the block and he walked me through everything. I finally get laid back, started going numb, and they let Derek come in. I was scared to death but felt so much better seeing him there… even if he did look as scared as I felt!

The surgery began. It seemed like forever but Doc had him out within 5 minutes. Derek stood up and watched as they pulled him out.


He cried immediately and I balled! I knew he'd be okay when I heard that sound. I have never heard a more beautiful sound! I cry just thinking about it! He was born at 3:42 a.m. on March 10th. Weighed 6 pounds 4 ounces and was 17.5 inches long.

Derek went with Cade to get cleaned up – I just got to see him for a second. By the time Doc had finished closing me up, I was shaking to death – thankfully just a side effect from the spinal block meds, which eventually wore off. They wheeled me into recovery and I almost immediately got to see my baby boy. In walks Derek and the nurse with Cade. All wrapped up, swollen, beautiful!


It was amazing and such a surreal moment! He was so tiny and helpless, but I could feel so much love for him already! It was so funny to see him still looking "breech"... his little legs were so used to that position, it was difficult to straighten him out. His little feet up by his head... everyone knew he was a breech baby the second they saw him!


Within no time, all of our family arrived… I’m still not sure how fast mom drove, to make it from Louisville to Ashland within 3 hours! Everyone was so happy to see him, healthy and strong. He is such a little blessing!


Marie said...

Christa I love reading Cade's story over and over again. I think you had a wonderful birth experience and he is just adorable!

Debbie said...

Christa, Loved reading the story of Cade's birth. It reads like a story book. I'm sure you have already put a copy of his special night in his baby book. Can't wait to see him this weekend. Give him a big kiss for me. Love, Nanna

Aunt Court said...

Wow! Cade is very talented to already have his own blog, LOL! I love it. It helps his aunt Court keep up with him since I don't get to see him often enough. Oh, and Brady's a bit jealous of Cade becuase his mommy and daddy don't have a blog for him. He's threatened to come stay with Aunt christa just so he can have one, LOL! :) Give Mr. Cade a big hug for us!!!

Anonymous said...

This is very cool! I enjoy reading about my first and ONLY GrandBaby. Wishing and hoping and praying for Cade to not become an only Child. I look forward to watching this young man grow up!!
love, GrandMomma