Monday, July 14, 2008

Cade's Sleep Experiment: Night 1

I've really been thinking about Cade's sleeping habits lately & why he's not sleeping through the night. He's only 4 months old, but he naps so well during the day. He's eating solid foods frequently throughout the day. He SHOULD be sleeping longer than 4-5 hour stretches at night.

My conclusion... it's MY fault!!!

Every night, Cade will wake up between 2 and 3:30... seems like he gets earlier every night. He will stir, cry enough to wake me up... I promptly jump out of bed and run to his nursery, scoop him up and take him into the living room, where I feed him while he's half asleep. He's never really *awake*... probably not hungry either. He will take a full bottle most times but it's like he's drinking it in his sleep.

Last night, he woke up at 2:30... so I laid & watched him on the video monitor. He wasn't really crying hard, just fussing and grunting and tossing around... it took less than 10 mintues and he was back to sleep!!! (normally I would have gotten him up & fed him at that time)

So that lasted until 4:30... I did the same thing and he did go back to sleep pretty quickly... but then he woke up at 5:00 and his cry was "different"... I could tell he was REALLY mad. So I got him up. He ate & went back to sleep!

5a.m. is still early, but I figured 9 to 5 is a pretty good stretch for him for the first night of our "experiment". 8 hours is a record for him!

So hopefully a few nights of holding myself back and he'll be sleeping through the night without waking up at all!!!

We'll see how night 2 goes!

1 comment:

Hope said...

Great idea! I hope he starts sleeping better at night for you. He wanted his Mommy to cuddle with him in the middle of the night. Awe....